Welcome

Hello.

Let's have fun together. I'll create things and you observe me.

This is a blog detailing all the projects I work on. It's a record of where things are at and a pin board of small random bits and pieces of creation.

I share anything useful I've come across during development, so if you're trying to solve a similar problem checking the labels on the right may be of assistance.

Feel free to leave a comment. Also, please take note that 90% of these blogs are compiled at 3 in the morning. The true hour of the day.

Enjoy your stay.

-Ryan

Friday 4 July 2008

Bits and Pieces

I've been sucked into Diablo 2 and other distractions lately (damn you, Blizzard), so progress has been meagre. However, I was determined today to continue progress on Synergy. I have been deliberating over integrating a physics engine into the code, and the task is daunting.

I've decided to make the task as easy as possible by setting up everything the physics tests will eventually need and fleshing out the 3DS loading more. This entailed implementing some functionality that supports environments. There's alot of different features that fall under this umbrella, including lightmaps, materials, entity spawning, and many others.

I decided decent ground work for a number of these things was beginning work on extracting material information from the 3DS files. This task proved to be another work in cryptography, as only relatively vague information is at my disposal regarding the file format.

However, after a number of hours stumbling around in the dark, I was successful: the engine loaded in a model of a simple room that had separate materials for the walls and floor. I decided to manipulate the number in the demo code somewhat to make sure all the objects sit within this new room, in preparation for implementing the physics/collision detection. Here's how it all shaped up:

Almost starting to look like a game?!

There's a lot more material information in the 3DS file I can potentially tap into, but it is not relevant at this stage in the engine. Next I will be focusing on loading in lights from 3DS files, and maybe, just maybe take a look at calculating light maps...

I've also devised an algorithm for welding points within a certain distance threshold of each other. Big deal, right? Well as far as my searching on google went, the approach appears to be brute-force O(n^2) algorithms, from what I could find (excerpt from game programming book). My approach was very simple; apply a 3-dimensional closest-pair algorithm to the vertices, with one modification: when the algorithm reaches an input of only 2 vertices, test if their distance is below the given threshold, if it is, weld them and return infinity for the distance.

This should in effect weld all vertices within the threshold in O(n log n) time, but I have yet to implement it and test its correctness.

No comments: